West Virginia

Licensing Requirements: How To Become A Concrete Contractor In West Virginia

The process of obtaining your contractor’s license in West Virginia is a little different than it is in all the other states around the U.S. If you plan on becoming a concrete contractor, then you will need to go through the West Virginia Division of Labor. They determine all the requirements, which involve business registration, scheduling exams, and having general liability insurance.

You always want to make sure that you are covering all your bases when applying for a license. Here is what you need to do:

Who Needs

A License?

The state of West Virginia defines a general contractor as someone “whose principal business is in connection with any structures built, being built or to be built for the support, shelter and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels or movable property of any kind, requiring in the construction the use of
more than two contractor classifications, or a person who supervises the whole or any part of the construction.”

In other words, concrete repair, resurfacing and installation will fall under the definition of a general contractor. The state has its own licensing process which you will need to undergo, and you must register your business with the West Virginia Secretary of State. Hiring multiple employees will also require you to have workers’ compensation insurance.

West Virginia reviews and approves licensure for several different trades, including electrical, plumbing, and HVAC. Furthermore, without a license, you won’t be able to work on projects that exceed $1,000 in total value. Each classification of licensure will have different requirements in terms of licensing and insurance coverage.

What Do You Need

To Do?

The state of West Virginia has a similar licensing process to other states. There are a few variations, and we will explain those differences in detail. This what you can expect:

  • Contact the West Virginia Division of Labor – You will need to reveal the scope and size of the work you plan on doing. A concrete contractor is considered a general building contractor in West Virginia. The state will review all of your information.
  • Take and pass your licensing exams – This includes the Business & Law exam as well as the trade exam specific to the kind of work you perform. Not every contractor will need to take the trade exam. The West Virginia Department of Labor lists every classification of licensure on its website.
  • Register your business – You will need to do this through the West Virginia Tax Department and get a unique tax number.
  • Sign up for insurance – This includes unemployment and workers’ compensation insurance. You will need to produce proof of insurance by including the proper documentation when submitting your application. Contractors are not required by the state to have general liability insurance. That being said, having it will offer financial and legal protections. Clients are also more likely to do business with you if you possess liability insurance.
  • Sign for surety bonds – Surety bonds also offer you additional financial protection. If you are unable to complete a project, then a surety bond will prevent you from having to pay out of pocket.
  • Print out and complete the application – This is the final stage of the application process. You will need to send it along with all the relevant information and items to West Virginia Contractor Licensing Board. You must also pay a licensing fee of $90.



West Virginia requires you to take and pass the Business and Law exam. It covers many different topics ranging from Business Organization to Labor Law to Risk Management. This exam will consist of 80 multiple-choice questions. You will need to schedule and pay for your exams online through Prov – a reliable testing solutions provider. Certain contractors will also need to take a trade exam depending on their field of expertise.
required documents



Each exam will cost $51.95 to complete, and if you need to take both exams, then it will cost you $103.90. You will need to make the fees payable to Prov. You can pay in the form of a credit card, money order, or cashier’s check. Prov will not accept personal or company checks.


Licenses And Registration

West Virginia requires every business entity to register with the state and apply for a tax number. For more information, you can always contact the West Virginia Tax Department and they can help guide you through the registration process. Furthermore, West Virginia requires you to obtain a Certificate of Authority through the Secretary of State’s office.

Any business that operates within the state of West Virginia will need to fulfill certain tax obligations, including tax withholding, sales and use tax (seller’s permit), and unemployment insurance tax. You will also need to have Workers’ Compensation Insurance through a commercial provider or state program. Your coverage will vary according to the type of work you provide.

required documents


We understand that you will need to clear a few hurdles before you can obtain your license. However, if you take things one step at a time, then you will soon have approval from the state of West Virginia to provide services as a concrete contractor. If you are uncertain about anything, you can always contact the West Virginia Department of Labor.
Happy Clients


Happy Clients
Projects Done


Projects Done


Cups of Coffee


Cups of Coffee