Concrete Contractors: Licensing & Registration In Utah

If you want to become a concrete contractor in Utah, you will first need to obtain a license. The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) regulates the entire process, and you will need to meet certain requirements. This includes passing the PSI examination and paying your submission fees.

For many people, the process may seem a little daunting. However, we want to help make things easier so that you can avoid any delays or setbacks. Here is what you need to know to get started:

Who DOes

Utah Recognize As Contractors?

The Utah legislature defines a building contractor as the following: “[someone who is] qualified by education, training, experience, and knowledge to perform or superintend the construction of structures for the support, shelter, and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels, or movable property of any kind […]”
The state has 23 different contractor types, which include specialties trades in addition to general contracting and building. Each type of license also lists five subtypes. The Utah legislative code features all the different classifications of licensure, which you can access online.



Every concrete contractor will need to apply for a license through the DOPL. However, before you apply, you will need to meet certain requirements. Here is what the state needs from you:

  • Complete the 25-hour pre-licensing course – All applicants will need to complete this instructional course administered by both the Utah Home Builders (UHB) or Associated General Contractors of Utah (AGC). There are several accredited education providers throughout the state of Utah.
  • Provide proof of general liability insurance – You will need to submit a certificate showing that you have general liability insurance. The state requires every contractor to have insurance with a minimum of $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total coverage.
  • Provide proof of surety bond – You will need to have a surety bond that offers adequate coverage according to the work you plan on doing. Surety bonds are only required for certain classifications of licensure.
  • Register your business – Corporations, LLCs, and limited partnerships will need to register their business with the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code.
  • Obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number – Anyone who plans on doing business in Utah will need a Federal EIN issued by the IRS.
  • Have two years of experience – You must have a minimum of two years of experience working full-time as a concrete contractor in the past ten years. One of those years should also be in a supervisory or managerial role.

Furthermore, if you plan on employing anyone, you will need to meet additional requirements. Almost every Utah employer will need to have workers’ compensation insurance coverage. The minimum weekly payout is $45. You can learn more about this by visiting the website of the Utah Insurance Department.

State tax withholdings and unemployment registration are also requirements you need to meet before filling out and submitting your application. You must register your business with the Utah State Tax Commission as well as with the Utah Department of Workforce Services.

Licensing And

Registration Fees

Listed below are the fees you will need to pay to complete your Utah contractor’s application:

  • Pay a $225 application fee for new applicants (this includes a classification and qualifier)
  • Pay a $175 application fee for any additional classifications
  • Pay a $50 application fee for every new or additional qualifier
  • Pay a $70 fee when registering your business through the State of Utah Department of Commerce

You must pay by check and all fees are payable to the DOPL, except for your business registration fee, which you will need to make payable to the State of Utah. All fees are non-refundable. The minimum costs of your surety bonds will also vary in price, ranging from $25,000 to $50,000 (depending on the classification of your license).

required documents


Contractor’s Exam

In terms of state-accredited exams and training, Utah requires you to complete the following:

  • A 25-hour pre-licensing course from either Utah Home Builders (UHB) or Associated General Contractors of Utah (AGC)
  • The PSI examination UT B-100 General Building Contractor
  • The PSI examination UTAH Construction Business and Law Examination.

The 25-hour course will cost you $310 to attend. For $70, you can purchase the NSCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management, Utah 3rd Edition. This particular textbook will provide you with plenty of study materials to complete the instructional course.

Now you are ready to take your exams. You have 3 hours to complete the B-100 General Building Contractor Exam and you must score at least 70% to pass it. The exam consists of 80 questions. You will also need to take the Business and Law exam administered through PSI Testing.


We understand that you may encounter a few hurdles when applying for your license. However, we can assure you that having one will benefit your business immensely. If you have any questions, you can always contact the DOPL to learn more about licensing and registration.
required documents
Happy Clients


Happy Clients
Projects Done


Projects Done


Cups of Coffee


Cups of Coffee