New Jersey

Concrete Contractors: How To Obtain Your License In New Jersey

If you plan on repairing and installing concrete in New Jersey, then you are going to need a license. The state oversees the entire process and, like other jurisdictions in the U.S., has certain requirements that you need to meet. To begin working as a licensed contractor in New Jersey, you will need to register with the Division of Consumer Affairs, and receive a license from the Department of Banking and Insurance (if you plan on providing financing options).

Now, we want to elaborate on what the state will require from you:

What Do You Need To

Apply For Licensure?

To register and obtain your license as a concrete contractor in New Jersey, you will need to undergo a multi-step process. First, you will need to complete and submit the application for your contractor’s license to the Division of Consumer Affairs. This includes the Disclosure Statement which you will also need to fill out.
You will submit a licensing application to the Department of Banking and Insurance if you plan on providing financing options for clients. You will also need to show proof that you have general liability insurance that accounts for a minimum amount of $500,000 per occurrence. Finally, you will need to pay the non-refundable submission fee of $110 to the Division.

Most other states require you beforehand to have a certain level of leadership experience and training to obtain your license. New Jersey, on the other hand, is more forgiving on these requirements. The state also doesn’t impose a statewide requirement for all contractors to be bonded.


And Registration

The state of New Jersey will require you to submit the following information in your application:

  • The name of your business – The name of your business must match what appears on corporate documents and the insurance certificate.
  • The structure of your business – You must know ahead of time if you are establishing a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or LLC (or LLP). Any out-of-state businesses must submit additional materials required by the state.
  • Your business information – This includes your mailing address, telephone number, email address, and fax number (if applicable).
  • Certificate of insurance – You must show proof that you have general liability insurance that covers up to $500,000 for each occurrence.
  • Sole Proprietorships – The state of New Jersey will need to know general information regarding your citizenship/immigration status as well as court-ordered child support obligations.
  • Your Federal Employer Identification Number along with your Social Security Number
  • Business information – The state will need to know the location of your home office and phone number. They will also require the telephone number and general information of each owner, officer, director, principal and a person with an ownership interest of 10 percent or more in the business and the percentage of ownership held.
  • Sign the Disclosure Statement – The Disclosure Statement deals with you granting consent to a financial and criminal background check. The state wants to determine if you were previously involved in any first, second, or third-degree crimes and other offenses that are in violation of the NJSA. If you were convicted of many major crimes, the state will request additional information from you.
  • Signed Certification – You must certify all of the information you submit with your application regarding your business. This includes your name, business name, signature, title, and application date. The purpose of this is to verify that all the relevant information is accurate and true to the best of your knowledge.

Once you complete the application, you need to remember to include the following:

  • A $110 non-refundable check or money order. You must make it payable to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs.
  • A certificate or documentation showing that you possess general liability insurance.
  • Any relevant forms or corporate documents.
  • Any additional documents that the state of New Jersey may require.

Business Registration And

Workers’ Compensation Insurance

New Jersey will issue a business license to those who own a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, LLC or LLP. You can learn more information about registering your business with the state through New Jersey’s online Business Portal. If you plan on engaging in commercial activity in the state, you will need to file Corporation Business Tax, Sales & Use Tax, or a variety of other taxes at the state level.

Anyone who is not covered by Federal programs will need workers’ compensation insurance. New Jersey’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development web page will offer you resources on how to find the right insurance plan for you and your employees. All concrete contractors who are registered with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs will appear in the online database. This will help you immensely in establishing your credibility and growing your business.

required documents


We understand the frustrations of having to apply for your contractor’s license. However, we promise that it will make a huge difference in the way you do business. Having your license will pave the way for you in securing higher-paying jobs and establishing profitable partnerships in your community. If you need any help getting started, you can always contact the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs.
Happy Clients


Happy Clients
Projects Done


Projects Done


Cups of Coffee


Cups of Coffee