How To Become A Licensed Concrete Contractor In Hawaii

Undergoing the licensing process in Hawaii will allow you to perform concrete contracting services. However, licenses are approved and issued by Hawaii’s Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. You will need to meet all of their requirements if you plan on starting a business and providing service. Let’s discuss what it is that they need from you:


Licensing Requirements

No matter the type of contractor’s license, there are several general requirements you will need to meet. They include:

  • You must at least 18 years of age or older
  • You must be in good financial standing
  • You must have four years in a supervisory role as a concrete contractor (in the past 10 years)
  • You must complete and pass the appropriate examinations (depending on the classification of your license)
  • You must possess liability and workers’ compensation insurance
  • You will need to determine your business structure. You must apply as a joint venture, LLC, corporation, etc.

Hawaii will also require you to have surety bonds, and the price will vary based on the type of bond. You should consult with different local bond companies to determine their price and if they are reliable. If you fail to obtain surety bonds, you will have to forfeit your license.

What Specific Information Does the State of Hawaii Require?

You are going to need to verify your identity with the state of Hawaii, which means that you will need to provide a government-issued ID and your social security card. However, if you’re applying as an entity and not an individual, then there are some additional requirements.

  • Experience: As we mentioned earlier, Hawaii requires that you worked at least four years in a supervisory role before applying for your license. However, you must also submit at least 3 notarized certificates that verify your supervisory experience. You will also need to submit a Project List detailing the previous four years of work you performed.
  • Financial Statement and Credit Report: applicants must provide a current financial statement that’s approved and reviewed by an independent accountant. You also need to submit a credit report detailing the previous five years of financial activity. This covers information on current and past debts, and whether or not you are delinquent on those debts.
  • Tax Clearance: Hawaii requires that you submit a State Tax Clearance. This rule does not apply to anyone who has been residing in Hawaii for less than a year.
  • Worker’s Compensation and Liability Insurance: Unless no one is under your employment, you will need to show proof of workers’ compensation insurance. Otherwise, you won’t have any authorization to do business in Hawaii. You must provide an insurance certificate and the proper documentation to the state of Hawaii. Furthermore, you will also need to have general liability insurance. It will need to offer full coverage for bodily injuries and property damage liabilities in monetary amounts deemed necessary by the state.

Hawaii Contractors

Exam and Fees

You must pass the Business and Law exam as well as the Trade exam to receive your license. They cover many different topics, including your knowledge of payroll taxes, Workers’ Compensation, Unemployment Compensation, lien
laws, and other relevant information as it pertains to normal business operations as a concrete contractor.

Each exam is administered by the Contractors License Board and they consist of 80 questions (you need to answer 75% of the questions correctly to pass). Each examination is closed book. You have three hours to complete the Business and Law exam, and four hours to complete the Trade exam.

To receive your license, you must pay three separate fees. This includes your licensing fee, examination fee, and application fee. The application fee is $50 and the examination fee is $75 for each part. The licensing fee will vary depending on the time of year.


Approval Process

Once you file your application, pay your fees and submit any other required items, the board will begin to review your information. They are usually prompt in notifying you of approval or disapproval/deferral. Once approved, you will need to complete your examinations. Upon passing your exams, you will be notified of any additional requirements. The state of Hawaii will then issue your license. We also want to mention that the Department does not convene in the month of December, which means that they won’t grant you your license during this time.

required documents
Happy Clients


Happy Clients
Projects Done


Projects Done


Cups of Coffee


Cups of Coffee